Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Apocalypse? and other matters

I'm not supposed to be posting today.

The world was supposed to end yesterday. And it didn't.

Sure, it would have been nice if the world ended. We would all be in heaven with Jesus. And I wouldn't have to worry about learning how to graph a circle. But the world didn't end.

And, to be honest, I wasn't expecting it to.

How do you think they're going to explain this one? An error in their calculations, most likely. (Or most definitely.) Or maybe just an error in even thinking they could predict it. After all, "no one knows the day or the hour". So I went about my business yesterday and actually forgot the apocalypse. And it turns out I didn't need to worry. :)

So, now that the threat of the apocalypse is over, I think I'll have a talk with my characters about it.

Nicki T.: Phew! Disaster averted.
Sir Eli: I suppose you could say that.
Levina: Then again, I suppose you could say there was never a disaster to avert.
(Everyone laughs.)
Nicki T.: Hey Jarek! It's raining fire!
Jarek: AHHHHHHH!
(Jarek runs away, trying to find shelter. Nicki T. snickers. Levina rolls her eyes. Sir Eli glares, but there is a small smile at the corners of his mouth.)
Levina: She was just teasing, Jarek.
Jarek (coming out from under the table): I knew that.
Levina (attempting to hide a smile): Oh, really. Sir Eli, did you think it was going to happen?
Sir Eli: I had my hopes.
(A rumbling sound fills the air. The floor starts shaking.)
Jarek: EARTHQUAKE! THEY WERE RIGHT AFTER ALL!
(Jarek dives under the table again.)
Nicki T.: Jarek? That was just a truck going by.
Jarek: What's a truck?
Nicki T.: It's kind of like a carriage, only without horses.

(Please note none of my characters but Nicki T. know what a truck is because they're from a medieval world. They don't have a clue either, they just don't ask.)

4 comments:

  1. Well, then, good-bye! I enjoyed sharing a room with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end of the world was supposed to be yesterday. And I don't share a room with you anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said "enjoyED," not "enjoy."

    *spoil sport*

    ReplyDelete